Friday, August 7, 2009

My Top Ten

So, I have spent the last three months in the great city! We will be coming home next Saturday, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I absolutely love it out here. On the other I do miss our families and I am ready to see them. If I could move our families out here I would stay forever! So today I wanted to do my TOP TEN THINGS I WILL MISS/THINGS I LOVE ABOUT D.C.:
1. ALL THE HISTORY: You guess it people Kevin and I love history, especially American/Military History. Well, if you love those type of things this is the city for you. I love all the museums they have here, and will miss taking Porter to them. We had so much fun going to all the Smithson's and reading and learning about our favorite historical time periods and people.
2. THE FOOD: There are so many different types of restaurants out here. Where we live makes it even better, because you can walk outside and you are surrounded by them. They have some of the best seafood out here, and we will greatly miss that and oh POTBELLY'S SANDWICH SHOP I WILL MISS YOU AND THE WRECK SANDWICH!
3. THE PEOPLE: So you always hear some crazy/scary things about D.C., but I love the people out here. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help. I have had so many conversations with complete strangers.
4.OUR NIGHTLY WALKS TO THE NATIONAL MALL: I will greatly miss our nightly family walks to the mall. How lucky were we to get to be a fifteen minute walk from the Washington Monument. Every night we would walk down there and just walk around, it never gets old to me. Porter is going to be so bored when we go for walks in Laramie, there is not near as much to look at.
5.THE NATS GAMES: So I am a huge sports fan, but baseball was not by any means my favorite sport. I never really liked it that much, but I had so much fun going to the Nationals games this summer. We always had a great time, and got to see some really good teams play there.
6. THE CRAZY PEOPLE: This city has a lot of them! They crack me up, I could people watch all day. I have some great stories to bring home because of them. GOD BLESS THE CRAZIES!
7. NEVER BEING BORED: There is just so much to do here, you never get bored. Porter and I always had things to keep us busy. There is always something going on, on the weekends!
8.ALL THE FREE ENTERTAINMENT: It is so great, here you can do so much and still keep a budget. Mostly all of the museums are free, the mall is free,and they always have festivals that are free. FREE IS ALWAYS GOOD!
9. THE SCULPTURE GARDEN: One of me and Porter's favorite spots to go is the Sculpture garden. We go down there all the time and play in the water. Porter goes crazy for it and I love it too.
10. OUR WARD: Let me tell you our church ward out here is so different from any other I have ever or will ever attend. Testimony meetings are my favorite, the people are so grateful to have this gospel in their lives. Lots of them are from different countries in Africa and the Ivory Coast, they left everything they had, their country, their jobs, and in most cases their families for this gospel, they gave it all up. With that kind of sacrifice comes so much love for the gospel. When they speak it comes straight from the heart, they don't try to be master scriptorian's or show how in depth their knowledge of the gospel is. They just speak what they feel and their words carry so much power. They are the kindest, happiest people,that have such a pure love for our savior. I have learned so much from them! Some of them don't even speak, instead they sing and at first I thought this was a little weird, but not anymore. I love it, I have never felt the spirit so strong. I am so glad I got the opportunity to be in this ward.

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

You have had such an incredible summer with memories you will never forget! I bet it made it even more special for you & Kev to have Porter with you there!

Wish we could have came to visit you! Maybe next year- are you going back next summer?

kathleen said...

you made me cry again! The water faucet is on full blast. I know you will miss it and it has been such a wonderful opportunity for all of you. I know I did not want you to go but I am so glad that you went and experienced all of this. Memories that will last forever. ALthough, I have missed you terribly and are ready to see your face! lol